BMJ Global Health Blogs is a forum to share and discuss ideas regarding global health. It intends to reach a wide audience including researchers, healthcare workers, policy stakeholders and the public.
Writing a BMJ Global Health Blog
We welcome submissions for consideration. Your article should be clear, compelling and appeal to an international readership. The best pieces make a single topical point. They are well argued with current or new insights.
- We strongly discourage articles shorter than 300 words and longer than 800 words.
- The writing style of blogs is different from the journal or academic style of writing. We bear this in mind when considering whether to accept an article and as such overly technical or dry language is not encouraged.
- It is best to include the references as hyperlinks in the text. If a URL cannot be provided then a traditional reference is acceptable, although strongly discouraged.
- At BMJ Global Health Blogs we do not take articles which describe patients.
- Please read our policy on competing interests and add the appropriate statement. For more information see http://bit.ly/1nwvs0Q
- By submitting any content for inclusion in our blog you are agreeing to BMJ’s Blog Terms & Conditions. If you do not agree to these terms and conditions, then you must not submit any content to us.
- We also need a short biography of the author(s) to put online with the article so that readers know who you are. It only needs to be a sentence or two long. We no longer require a photo of the author(s).
Process of submission
- All articles in BMJ Global Health Blogs is published under a CC-BY-NC licence and your submission automatically implies your agreement to the same.
- We require potential authors to pitch blog ideas (through this link) specifically mentioning the idea for the blog before making a full submission. Full blogs should not be submitted through this link and will not receive a response.
- Once a pitch is approved, one of our Blog and Social Media Editors will get in touch with the corresponding author noting if a full submission is merited.
- Full blogs may be sent in MS Word format with additional images in jpeg/png/jpg format, attached separately. Please ensure that you have copyright of any images you send. Please also note that images cannot contain any identifiable people unless consent was sought.
- The full blog is reviewed by our Blog and Social Media Editors and if required by other reviewer(s) or editor(s) with the recommendation to accept, reject or modify the submission.
- Once accepted, minor changes in title of article and in-text language edits may be made during the web-publication process.
- Any pitch submissions sent directly via email will not be replied to.
Timelines: Please expect approx. 4-7 working days to know the outcome of your pitch. Please note that fast track is currently unavailable.
Submit your blog pitch here.
Version: 5th August 2023.