HIV & COVID-19 Podcast
Take-home points and resources from the originally recorded podcast found here: https://soundcloud.com/bmjpodcasts/hiv-and-covid-19-what-do-we-know-so-far?in=bmjpodcasts/sets/sti
- PLWHIV who have COVID-19 do as well as the general population if they have no other risk factors and who are well immune-reconstituted on anti-retroviral medication.
- Encourage people living with HIV (PLWHIV) if admitted to hospitals to disclose their status to admitting physicians.
- Encourage admitting physicians to contact the HIV specialist team as soon as a PLWHIV are admitted.
- Do not stop anti-retroviral medication even if the patient is very unwell without discussing it with the HIV specialist team.
- Check for potential drug-drug interactions on www.covid19-druginteractions.org
- Test people with COVID-19 for HIV to make sure they receive anti-retroviral medication to rescue their immune system. HIV testing saves lives!
- PLWHIV and their community need to proactively engage with strategies to maintain their physical and mental wellbeing to avoid catching COVID-19 infection and support their immune system.
British HIV Association:
- Intensive Care Society (ICS) and British HIV Association (BHIVA) statement on considerations for critical care for people with HIV during COVID-19
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) and HIV – Responses to common questions from the British HIV Association (BHIVA)
- BHIVA COVID-19 interim adult antiretroviral guidance May 2020
- COVID-19 & shielding: advice for HIV clinicians, GPs and people living with HIV
- EACS & BHIVA Statement on risk of COVID-19 for people living with HIV (PLWH)
Australasian Society of HIV, viral hepatitis and STIs:
- ASHM COVID-19 taskforce on HIV, Viral Hepatitis, and Sexual health
- COVID-19 and adults living with HIV: ASHM COVID-19 Taskforce interim recommendations
Drug-Drug Interaction check:
Reporting COVID-19 cases:
- NEAT ID Foundation: www.NEAT-ID.org
- The Lean European Open Survey on SARS-CoV-2 Infected Patients (LEOSS): https://leoss.net