By Professor Declan Walsh, Hemby Family Endowed Chair in Supportive Oncology, North Carolina, USA
The Department of Supportive Oncology at the Levine Cancer Institute (LCI) is seeking a Fellow to complete a comprehensive post-graduate academic year in their internationally recognized center for supportive care in cancer.
About the Fellowship:
• Train to become a next generation physician leader with expertise in the emerging field of Supportive Oncology
• Practice in multiple clinic settings to cultivate broad knowledge of the multidisciplinary approach to supportive care in cancer
• Half day continuity clinic with clinical rotations in supportive oncology specialties, and opportunities to engage in oncology subspecialties
• Protected time for academic and research collaborations
• Exposure to oncology care primarily in the outpatient setting, and inpatient experience via the rapid access service
• Must be eligible to work in the US and to obtain a North Carolina license
About the Department:
• Chaired by Dr. Declan Walsh, Hemby Family Endowed Chair in Supportive Oncology, and internationally renowned physician, researcher, and administrator
• The Dept of Supportive Oncology includes the Sections of Oncology Palliative Medicine, Integrative Oncology, Cancer Rehabilitation, Oncology Nutrition, PsychoOncology, Cancer Navigation, Cancer Survivorship, and Senior Oncology
• Access to multiple clinical trials with fully integrated research department
• New, state-of-the-art ambulatory facility with dedicated rehabilitation gym, palliative medicine infusion suite, acupuncture suite, and spaces for massage and healing touch
• MASCC Designated Center of Excellence in Supportive Care in Cancer
• ESMO Designated Center of Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care
• CARF Accredited Cancer Rehabilitation Program
About Levine Cancer Institute:
• Cutting-edge cancer care in a community, academic hybrid setting with 25+ locations throughout the region
• Strong referral streams with large tertiary referral center
• Nationally ranked cancer center by U.S. News & World Report
• World’s first cancer network designated as a Planetree Patient-Centered Organization
About the Community:
Charlotte is one of the nation’s fastest-growing big cities and is projected to increase in population 71% by 2030. The area features the following attributes: World-class entertainment, eclectic culinary experiences, as well as an abundance of arts, musical, and cultural opportunities. Numerous professional sports including the NFL Carolina Panthers, NBA Charlotte Hornets, NASCAR, Carolina Knights baseball, Charlotte Checkers hockey and world-class training facilities at the US National Whitewater Center, as well as unlimited year-round recreational opportunities. Excellent public and private schools and numerous top ranked colleges and universities throughout the greater Charlotte region. Easy access to beautiful Blue Ridge mountains and some of the nation’s most popular beaches. Immediate airport access and convenient proximity to multiple major metropolitan areas.
Levine Cancer Institute of Atrium Health is a unique institution designed with the innovative vision to deliver outstanding cancer care across the Carolinas, building upon its strong network of affiliated hospitals and providers. With its headquarters in Charlotte, specialized clinical activity interfaces with extensive research and educational endeavors across 25+ practice locations. LCI serves 4.7 million people across the Carolinas with over 15,ooo new cases diagnosed annually.
At LCI, there are more than 200 cancer doctors experienced in treating the full spectrum of solid tumor and blood cancers. With training from some of the nation’s best cancer programs and expertise in treating even the rarest and most challenging cases, our specialists have the knowledge and skill needed to best treat our patients. LCI proudly offers Phase 1 clinical trials, the regions only adult blood and marrow transplant unit, and a fully integrated Supportive Oncology department.
Atrium Health is one of the nation’s leading and most innovative healthcare organizations, providing a full spectrum of healthcare and wellness programs throughout North and South Carolina and Georgia. With a mission is to improve Health, elevate Hope and advance Healing – for all, Atrium Health is the second largest non-profit healthcare system in the United States. Atrium Health has over 2,500 system-employed providers, operating more than 45 acute care and specialty hospitals with over 900-plus care locations and 11.6 million patient encounters annually.
To learn more, or to submit required application materials for confidential consideration, please contact: LCISupportiveOncology@atriumhealth.org. Include in Subject Line: Supportive Oncology Fellowship.
• Curriculum Vitae
• 2 Letters of Recommendation
• 500-word Personal Statement