8 Oct, 12 | by BMJ Group
I will present the approach we use in designing and planning population based systems of care in ten short blogs.
Here are the ten steps:
- Define the scope of the system.
- Define the population to be served.
- Reach agreement on the aim and objectives of the service.
- For each objective find one or more criteria.
- For each of the criteria identify levels of performance that can be used as quality standards.
- Identify all the resources used in the system, thus creating a system budget.
- Define all the partners so that they need to be engaged in a clinical network.
- Produce a system specification.
- Prepare a plan to build the system.
Muir Gray is visiting professor of knowledge management, Nuffield Department of Surgery, University of Oxford.